new / adj. 1. Arrived, made, discovered, acquired, experienced recently or now for the first time. 2a. Renewed; reformed. b. Reinvigorated. 3. Different from a recent previous one. 4. Unfamiliar; strange. 5. Modern; newfangled; advanced. [OE]
June 4th, 2009 - Update by CidolfasLast month, the FF Compendium quietly celebrated its tenth anniversary. Ten years is a long, long time for a website. I am proud of what I and my rotating staff have accomplished, but all good things come to an end. This is my official announcement that the FF Compendium will no longer be updated.
When the site first started, FF8 had just come out, and the FF series was a large but quite manageable world to explore. Ten years down the road, there are twelve canonical entries and a whole host of spinoffs, remakes, cameos, and side stories that have been told. As the series spreads its wings, it gets more and more difficult to pin down. This is certainly one of the reasons for my decision, but the main one is simply that I no longer look forward to working on it. I'm older and have less free time, and I'd like to spend the time actually playing the games rather than writing encyclopedias on them.
The site isn't going anywhere, worry not. It'll stay where it is, pristine and unadulterated, forever as far as I'm concerned. It's still pretty damn huge if I do say so myself, and it's a lot of fun to look through regardless of how much isn't covered.
I couldn't have got here by myself. Joe Fielder from ZDNet was the first person to give me a link and start me off. It was thanks to the great people at RPGClassics - Jim Shaheen, Sinistral, Merlin et al - who offered me a place to hang my hat and grow the site. A huge thanks to the server admins, Nulani and Black_Ninja before her, for all their hard work in keeping it alive.
Thanks to everyone who worked on the site content with me, for however brief a time: Weiila, NikkiNeko, Faetan, Wilfredo Martinez, RoguePaladinTrian, Paramekia, Sabbathiel, ShingoBunny, [Ice][Angel], Ichimonji, Ianas, and reckless ronin. A special thank you to PanamaJack for his excellent work on the various layouts throughout the years, and my long-term maintainers theWallflower, Rainent and Loire. Also a shout-out to Richard Mark Honeywood, who was an invaluable contact for many years.
Finally, thank you to all those who read the site and incessantly pointed out corrections and improvements. You made it all worth it.
I'm not disappearing. I invite everyone to check out my blog, The Role-Playing Jew, where I discuss a whole host of things, some of which may indeed be RPG-related.
It's been a great ten years. So long, and thanks for all the fish!
-----Cidolfas, June 3, 2009
May 20th, 2009 - Update by Cidolfas
- Hey all. As some of you may have seen, the site has been down for several days. Thanks to the tireless efforts of the folks at GrokThis and Nulani, our server administrator, it looks like everything's back up! That was a bit scary for a while though. -_- Anyway, please let me know if you see anything broken. I think e-mails are still down, though, so if you get it bounced back, please wait a day or two and try again.
April 22nd, 2009 - Update by Loire
- The FF11 character page has been almost completely overhauled and now has more accurate and detailed descriptions. Thanks a ton to everyone who sent in corrections and additions, especially Nilfalasiel!
- Added a large number of FF11 internal crossovers and external crossovers. Thanks again for sending these in!
- Added more game scripts, including Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy IV, and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII.
- Also added additional images for Rin (FF10), King Raithwall (FF12), Ahriman (FF7CC), Bahamut (FF12), Bomb (FF4), Cockatrice (FF4), Goblin (FF4), and Mindflayer (FF4).
February 17th, 2009 - Update by Loire
- A fairly long update this time around as lots of content has been added to the site in the past few months.
- We now have game scripts for most of the games. If you have a game script that we’re missing please let us know!
- Additional sprites from the original FF1, FF2, FF3, and FF4 have been added. Some character descriptions have been corrected and/or added. Thanks to everyone who sent in information!
- Lots of pictures from the anniversary edition of FF1 and FF2 character pics on the PSP have been added. The new graphics are really improved!
- Added FF3 character pics from the DS version.
- Added FF4 character pics from the DS version and updated character names. The names of the four fiends have been reverted back to their original Japanese names.
- We’re still missing some character pics from the PSP versions of FF1 and FF2 as well as the DS versions of FF3 and FF4. If you have any that are missing please send them in!
February 1st, 2009 - Update by Cidolfas
- Hi all! Just some routine stuff this month. A couple of new Name Origins, and some Ex-Crossovers to The World Ends With You and Neverwinter Nights 2. By request I've brought back the "new" image indicating which Name Origins are new.
- A few new character images in FF9 and FF12.
- Loire has been working steadily to add content to various parts of the site and he'll be making an update shortly as well. Thanks!
December 23rd, 2008 - Update by Cidolfas
- Cleared off my backlog again, yay! Name Origins and crossovers dominate, as usual.
- There's now a link to straybullet's work-in-progress Korean translation of the FFC. It's a neat idea and I'm more than willing to link to anyone else wanting to translate this site into your own language!
November 30th, 2008 - Update by Cidolfas
- At long last, info for Final Fantasy Tactics A2 has finally been added to the site! Thanks to everyone for your patience, I know it took a lot longer than usual. I should also note that the story information may be slightly lacking or even a bit inaccurate. This is because I failed to take notes while playing through the game, and unfortunately my usual reliance on FAQs to jog my memory hasn't helped, since very few FAQs care about FFTA2's story! If you find errors or omissions, please let me know.
October 26th, 2008 - Update by Cidolfas
- Well, good ole backlog has been conquered again. This time it's largely corrections rather than additions, though we did get a Name Origin - Conde Petie from FF9. I remember when these were practically all our site ever did... I dunno why they've dried up so much recently, but if you have any insights to the recent games, or even older ones, feel free to write in!
- I've removed Square Haven from our affiliate site... unfortunately the site no longer updates. On the plus side, I've added Final Fantasy Radio. It's nice to have one of these again. 8-) There are some layout issues there but I'm told they're being worked on.
- Unfortunately no news on FFTA2, let alone FF4DS. Like I said, things have been pretty hectic. Hopefully next week I can get cracking a little more.
September 28th, 2008 - Update by Cidolfas
- I am clueless how I missed this until now, but for those of you who've been squinting at our pages on high-resolution monitors, I've finally updated our CSS files so they're using ems rather than pt/px. This means they'll adjust to your normal font size. I'm embarrassed it took this long. 8-(
- For those itching for FFTA2 info, worry not: I've started work on it and will slowly but surely be adding information. Unfortunately the next several weeks are going to be very busy for me, as they are every year, and the previous several weeks were also busy (for other reasons) so please be patient!
September 7th, 2008 - Update by Loire
- FAQs have been added for Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, FFCC: Ring of Fates, and FFCC: My Life as a King.
- Monster and Summon images have each been consolidated onto one page and updated to use resizeable image thumbnails. Hopefully you like the new format!
- Information on the crossover from The World Ends With You has been updated, including pictures of the Ifrit, Shiva, Golem, and Bahamut pins.
August 17th, 2008 - Update by Cidolfas
- Nothing much to see here, just clearing out my e-mail backlog. This includes a pic of Pacce from FF10 and two Famous Moments from FF5, a few name origins from FF12, an Ex-Crossover from The World Ends With You, and a few corrections on the FF Tactics characters page.
- I'm just 45 quests away from finishing FFTA2, so you can finally look forward to some of that stuff getting added, at which point I can finally start work on FF4DS.
August 7th, 2008 - Update by Cidolfas
- I'm sorry to announce that Chris (Rainent) will no longer have the time to fulfil the position of Maintainer on the FFCompendium. He will remain on staff as a contributing editor, meaning he'll help out whenever he can. 8-) Chris's position has been filled by Loire (Mike Gonsalves) who will be making updates in the future. Welcome to the team!
July 6th, 2008 - Update by Cidolfas
- I'm proud to announce that Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII is now fully represented in the FFCompendium. As usual, this means that you're under a SPOILER WARNING throughout the entire site. I've already started playing FFTA2, but please be patient, as I'm only doing it an hour or two at a time, so it may take a while. 8-) Send in any images we're missing, and enjoy!
June 30th, 2008 - Update by Rainent
- We're still beating the backlog. :) We received a slew of pictures from
Kareem Issa, mainly comrpising art and job images for FF3 and FF5,
which have been added to their respective sections, with a few other
random images from FF11 and 12 thrown in for good measure.}
- Everything else has mostly been maintenance, crossovers, and name
origins, which have been mostly completed. I will be working on
gathering information for FF Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, so
I appreciate any non-trivial information that you all might have to
May 19th, 2008 - Update by Cidolfas
- Welcome to another showing of Beat the Backlog! This time we've got new pictures of Feolthanos, Grimoire Valentine, and the Dual Horn; two new Name Origins, ex-crossovers to DQ Herores: Rocket Slime, and a new pic of a Famous Moment.
- I've added hub pages for Crisis Core and FFCC: Ring of Fates. The info will be up when we have time! FFCC is a bit low on my radar right now, though, seeing as how FFTA2 will be out shortly, and FF4DS shortly after that.
- I've added a new section to the In-Crossovers page, called "You Spoony Bard!" With the number of in-series mentions of the famous line up to three, it deserves its own mini-section already. 8-)
- I've also added links in the Fan Flash page to two astounding movies by Monty Oum, called "Dead Fantasy". If you enjoyed FF7: Advent Children in the least, I guarantee you'll be blown away by these. I'm looking forward to instalment number three!
Chicago Illinois~chicago Temple Airview~1950-60s Postcard
Vtg 1960 National Biscuit Co Wonders Of World Cards Hanging Gardens Temple Diana
Greece Athenes Le Temple De Jupiter Olympien Athen The Temple
Charles City Ia Ymca~masonic Temple~manual Arts Building 1920s
Carte Panini Fantasy Riders 2020 #286 Temple Englouti
Final Fantasy, all games and animation bearing the Final Fantasy name, and all characters in said games or animation are copyright their respective creators, including but not limited to Squaresoft, Square Enix, Square EA, Tokyo TV, and ADV Films.